What did I know about Thailand? Let’s see... Thai green curry? Not really, or maybe I do know how it tastes like but I wasn’t too sure, I knew I had a 50/50 chance of getting it as my main meal on the flight to Bangkok, or back…or neither. I was trying to figure what I did know, but I guess it was going to be good, well that is what I’ve heard. On the plane I went…
I imagined a tropical beach circling the runway, palm trees symmetrically parallel to each other… Ok, that’s expecting a bit too much from a city airport, but my hopes soon faded once I landed on concrete. The planes air conditioning did not really prepare me for the heat wave that was about to unfold, I excitedly exited the trap doors, it was hot - “Ohhh myyyyy Geees…” I’m guessing that’s what I said.
Forgetting the journey, I was stunned. Suvarnabhumi Airport was amazing, automatic soap dispensers, genetically modified indoor palm trees and overstated moving walkways, I was taken away. Time just about stopped (I stood still) as I started to predict if I would ever inhale city pollution, or if I’d see something other than the insides of the aviation industry.
I finally did… ”Whoop!”
I spent a couple days’ shopping in the heart of Bangkok, an exceptional city, a kind of concrete of goodness. Splashing my cash on anything cheap, in reality I don’t like shopping, but I just about bought a colourful collection of t-shirts to go with my adventures. I did buy a pink one, not to my taste, but like all tourists I had to fit in considering it was a symbol of respect to the Royal family.
My Bangkok days were up, I was satisfied. Finally time to travel south, I was about to be introduced to the paradise I was promised back in London. Here I go…
(reconstruction of my trip to Thailand back in 2008)
No comments:
Post a Comment